Tuesday 10 September 2013

Mum's Special Chocolate Mud Cake


Last week, we celebrated my Mum's "getting-closer-to-a-signific" Birthday. She often doesn't like a big fuss made - usually she gets unlucky and has to work on her birthday and this year was no different. So I decided to do something a little special for her...a Chocolate Mud Cake.



Since she was diagnosed a Coeliac 6 years ago, I'm 99% sure she hasn't had a Gluten Free Mud Cake. So it was an easy decision on what to make, the hard part was the "How".  Lucky for me, the answer was sitting in my pantry - in the form of White Wings Gluten Free Flour. I've wanted to play around with it and so I went on their website to check out their website to see what recipes they had on offer.


Luckily for me, they had a Chocolate Mud Cake on there! I adjusted it slightly to suit what we like as a family, and I must say it turned out well - despite Mum not wanting candles or us to sing "Happy Birthday" :(



Something I feel I should mention before we get onto the cake - I am a big fan of supporting your local produce (especially with living in Australia and having so much imported produce on the shelves), so from now on, if I do use an Australia produced product, I will say so, that way you Aussie's out there can do so as well!


The Australian brands I have used are; White Wings, Cadbury, Western Star and Bulla.


Mum's Special Gluten Free Chocolate Mud Cake

Yields about 12 average sized slices

Ingredients

Chocolate Cake

250g Unsalted Butter, melted
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/3 cup Castor Sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups Almond Meal
1 1/2 cups White Wings Gluten Free Flour Mix
3/4 Cup Milk

Chocolate Fudge Icing

250gm Dark Chocolate, in pieces
1/2 cup Pouring Cream
70g unsalted Butter

Directions

1. Preheat your oven 180 degrees (Celsius) fan forced.

2. Place the Butter, Cocoa, Sugar, Eggs, Almond Meal, Flour and Milk into a large bowl and whisk to combine.


3, Pour into a lightly greased round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper (I used a springform one). 


4. Bake for 1 Hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.


5. Next, lick the bowl clean. This is a very important step - maybe one of the most important.


6. Allow the cake to cool in the tin completely.


7. To make the Icing, place the Chocolate, Cream and Butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.


8. Stir until melted and smooth.


9. Spread evenly over the top and sides of the cake. FYI: if you spread over the sides, it helps keep the cake moist! 


Enjoy!!








No comments:

Post a Comment